Thursday, August 6, 2015

Girl's surprise

Today Girl turned 14.  I hope this year is better because 13 was a terrible year.  Girl is very musical and of her long list of gifts that she wanted, and most were absolutely never going to be given to her by me, I saw one item on the list that I thought would be great.  She asked for a clarinet.  Here at home we have a piano and accordion.  I don't think the piano is going to make the move, and who, other than me enjoys accordion?  She wanted a clarinet so I figured that would be a good gift. 

I didn't want to buy a new one and I saw an ad for one that was being sold by someone who buys used instruments and repairs them to sell to school kids.  Perfect.  So he and I made a deal that we were going to meet at a McDonald's in V-town, about an hour from our home. 

Yesterday Girl asked what we were doing for her birthday (other than her party on Saturday).  I told her that we were going to V-town to have lunch at McDonald's with one of my childhood friends and her mother.  Then I had to work for about 15 minutes another hour further away.  Girl was not happy about having to eat lunch with Boy, and three old people, then sit in the car for several more hours.  She wanted to hang out with her friends but I said no.  She'd see them on Saturday. 

I gave the clarinet seller a description of what we looked like and the vehicle we were driving.  When we got there we sort of stalled in the parking lot looking for my friend.  I noticed a person inside McDonald's staring out at us.  The clarinet seller.  I told the kids that I didn't see my friend's car so we were just going to go in and wait inside. 

When we walked in I said to girl, "Look, that looks like a clarinet salesman. Let's see what he's selling."  She's so gullible!  We walked over and I said, "That is a beautiful clarinet.  It is Girl's birthday and Girl, would you like the clarinet?"  She said she would so the clarinet seller took it out of the case, put it together, and handed it to Girl.  She started playing there in McDonald's.  I sent the kids to a different table and I paid the man. 

When I went over to our table Girl started quizzing me.  What perfect timing to have a clarinet salesman sitting there at McDonald's in V-town an hour from home.  Was that really a coincidence?  I thought about my answer for a second.  No, it was planned.  Then I showed her the texts on my phone and told her that was why she couldn't send a text to one of her friends. 

After lunch she serenaded us for the hour drive to where I had to work.  It was nice.  Tonight she told me that the older she gets the more she realizes that birthdays aren't really fun but they sure are nice.  This is the best birthday that she can remember.  Yes, I hope this year is a good year. 
 

2 comments:

  1. I hope it's a great year. Belated birthday wishes.
    I tried out a clarinet and even a flute but it was immediate that my horrible singing was better... and free! Always good to have talented family members!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhhhhh! Wonderful post. My grandson just turned 14...it's going to be an interesting year. :(

    ReplyDelete