Tuesday, July 7, 2015

4th of July and Gaining Independence and missing Tylenol

Every year I read the Declaration of Independence to everyone who shows up at our home to watch fireworks.  This year it's just Girl, Army Daughter, Son-in-law, and Cutest little granddaughter. The rest of the family is off at the public fireworks shows.  Boy is at camp for two weeks. I doubt they read the Declaration of Independence at camp.  I doubt most people would recognize most of the Declaration.

It is interesting when people get into the debate over God and how society is being destroyed by a Godless group, or by those who skew God's word. It just all depends on whose side you are on. People debate whether God is part of our country's history or not.  So, I'll start this evening off with this.  God, the creator, was mentioned four times in the Declaration of Independence (that 4th of July document).  In the Constitution God isn't mentioned.  It is stated in the year of our lord.  So God isn't mentioned but Jesus is, just not by name. God shouldn't be included in our laws?  I don't believe that at all.  The Constitution was built on the Declaration. Much of the guidance for writing the Constitution came from the bible. 

The problem comes when we want to use the bible word for word in our laws rather than using the concepts.  What do I mean?  Let's take the 10 commandments for example.  They are the 10 commandments, we all know them right?  Wrong.  Protestant and Jewish commandments 1 and 2 are different.  The Jewish version starts one line in the bible earlier.  3-10 are the same.  The 10th is split in two for the Catholics as it is 9 and 10. Same document, just read differently so when we want to quote exactly we fight.  Stupid.  

But what about money and the pledge of allegiance?  In God We Trust and Under God were added in the 1950s as our answer to the growing concern of communism. Or at least that is what you would be led to believe if you believe everything you read on the internet!  I've included an interesting article from the US Treasury, which provides a history of In God We Trust on our money.   http://www.treasury.gov/about/education/Pages/in-god-we-trust.aspx  In God We Trust was first included in 1864 on the 2 cent coin, 90 years earlier than most websites will tell you. 

The pledge of allegiance was changed in the 1950s to include Under God. It was due to a push by religious leaders and groups.  I think by associating it with anticommunism it was able to get pushed through.  I just don't believe that was why it was added.  

OK, enough of that, I just had to throw some of that in.  People get so caught up in this that they don't think about the big picture.  Future Spouse stated it really well on the 4th of July during our daily phone call.  What do we celebrate on the 4th of July? Independence!  Our independence from England because we didn't like the lack or representation and the extreme taxes.  So how about now?  FS says we as a family are declaring our independence from our own government because we don't like the lack of representation and the extreme taxes.  Because so many people are getting something from the government, rather than contributing to it, the government is perpetuating the desire of more and more people to just let the government take care of them. 

FS wants to be as self sufficient as possible so we don't have to rely on the government to help us out.  Stay out of our life!  OK, not total independence from the government, I have to pay my taxes or I go to jail.  But I will try to pay as little as possible.  I can't ignore the fact that they are there, and at times I wouldn't want to not have them around.  I like the local sheriff to be there when I need them.  Same with the fire department.  And the schools (just not all their curriculum).  And the military.  Those things I don't mind paying for.  On the other hand, just today the county government took over $500 of my money in fees for my new property.  A fee to put in a culvert, a fee to put in the septic tank, a fee to put in a road... Now these fees are cheaper than in California but fees nevertheless.  And after they saw the thoroughness of the paperwork for some of these items they said that they weren't going to come out an inspect.  Yes, it was just a money grab, with more to come. 

With moving next year, my normal thoughts of prepping are changing.  I am still trying to stay as independent as possible.  Trying to stay as prepared as possible while cutting back on some of the things I've collected over the years.  We sold most of the chickens. I still have enough for all our egg needs and will butcher the extra roosters.  The broody hen may still raise another clutch or two of chicks.  I could have butchered the extra and put them into the freezer but instead I am trying to clear out the freezer.  All while still keeping a good stock of food on hand.

I got sick yesterday and found a hole in the prepping while I was trying to self-medicate.  A hole due to theft?  I had a terrible sore throat and ear ache.  It hurt to swallow but worse than that was the pressure in my ear.  I gargled with salt water and took some aspirin.  It's interesting because my medical guidance book says to take aspirin for a sore throat, not Tylenol or Advil. That wasn't enough so when it was bedtime I decided I was going to take a Tylenol with Codeine.  Went to the medicine cabinet.  No Tylenol with Codeine.  Went to the drawer, none there either.  Went to the safe where I keep some of the strong stuff.  It wasn't there either.  Nowhere could I find the Tylenol with Codeine.  I know that I have plenty.  Or at least I had plenty.  Who swiped it?  Mrs. Bug-out renter hasn't been here for a long time.  I always had to put all the meds into lockup because she would "borrow" some because she needed it.  Adult grandsons have been here.  Did they get into it?  Son-in-law hasn't had a drink since he's been here.  Is he compensating for lack of alcohol by downing the Tylenol with Codeine?  Is it Girl?  I have no idea where it went.  I took 1500 mg. of regular Tylenol and went to bed.  Fortunately when I woke up this morning the ear ache was gone and the sore throat much better.  I'll continue with the gargling with salt water but next time I see the doctor I need to get another prescription and into the safe it will go.

Life is an adventure.  We will be fine.  After all, it's life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness that we strive for, not the government providing for us.  4th of July, Independence Day from England in 1776 and in 2015 from the overreaching arm of our own government.  I think I'll go pick some fruit.

2 comments:

  1. God is a part of our government because the Founding Fathers were steeped in the wisdom of the Bible. They may have believed or not believed to different extents, but they understood the wise words of the Bible and how those words are an aid to people. As our leaders became more secularized, the Biblical wisdom has become more and more ignored, and we get the laws we are now getting. These laws are based upon what man wants, not what is best for man.

    Independence of the government is now a good idea. Just hard to do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The pursuit of happiness indeed! Above all I want people to be happy and hope they want the same for us. People respecting each other no matter beliefs, ideas, lifestyles, etc. goes a long way towards happiness as it's often hard to have respect for yourself if you don't have respect for others.

    I can't wait for our apple tree's to start providing some great apples in a few years. Looks like half of them are surviving well.

    ReplyDelete