Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Cleaning Supplies: How much are enough?

If I’m planning on purchasing enough stuff to last 10-20 years how much do I need?  Am I really going to go out and get 20 years worth?  I'd like to but first I have to figure out how much I need.  When something comes up in a super sale you may as well stock up.  It's better than putting your money in the bank.   

I don’t know if I have a lot or a little when it comes to cleaning supplies when comparing how many different things I use.  I keep things simple.  I do make window washing spray but otherwise everything is purchased.  Here's a list of what’s in my closet.  I’m listing name brands and I usually stick with the name brand but not always.  Costco’s Kirkland brand is usually as good as the name brand.
Formula for window spray: In a one quart spray bottle add ½ teaspoon simple green, 1 ½ teaspoon vinegar, couple drops bluing, fill rest with water.


Item
Amount Used
Times per week
Container Size
Lasts
Supply on hand
Dishwasher Detergent
2 tablespoons –
¾ ounce

6
85 oz. box
4 months
2 years
Clorox Bleach
1/3 cup (~3 oz) in white load
1
128 oz.
10 months
5 years
Clorox Bleach
1/3 cup (~3 ox) in quart spray bottle
1
128 oz.
10 months
2 years
Liquid soap-
dishwashing
1/2 oz.
7
128 oz.
6 months
3 years
Pinesol
1/3 cup in bucket
1
128 oz.
10 months
3 years
Simple Green
1 cup in quart spray bottle
1x month
128 oz.
16 months
3 years
409
32 oz in spray bottle
1 every 2 month
128 oz.
8 months
2 years
Murphy’s oil soap
4 oz. in bucket
2x month
32 oz.
4 months
2 years
Proforce oven cleaner
4 oz. straight from bottle
1x month
32 oz.
8 months
2 years
Ajax cleanser (not the oxygen kind)
2 oz.
1
21 oz.
2 ½ months
6 years
Laundry Detergent (Costco powder)
~1/3 scoop
12
200 loads
(but I get 300 loads with H.E. washer)
5-6 months
4 years
Vinegar – mostly for laundry
2 oz.
4
128 oz.
4 months
3 years
Bluing
two or three drops
1x month
8 oz.
Years!
Years!

This is all I have.  Obviously my 10-20 years worth of supplies falls short.  But knowing what I have is an excellent start.


3 comments:

  1. You are off to a great start; at least you know what you have and how long they will last. I'm thinking I better check our supplies too! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've read that liquid bleach has a shelf life of 9 months.

    We recently experimented w/bar soap - found a bar of zest in guest bathroom cabinet that was 13 years old, still worked like a charm. Bar soap can be turned into dish soap, laundry soap, stain remover. Good for barter too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bleach does have a shorter shelf life if you keep it in a warm climate. As with many other items, the cooler the climate the longer it is preserved. Bleach will last several years, but it loses its strength over time. What this means is if I dilute it by using 3 ounces per quart now, in a year I may need to use 6 ounces and a year after that 12 ounces. After a couple of years you'd need to use it straight. This means that having more than a two or three year supply may be all you can have on hand. Bar soap is an excellent item to have on hand. That will be a topic of what's in the bathroom drawers!

    ReplyDelete