Friday, September 9, 2011

The real reason the power went out

My sister wrote to tell me the real reason the power went out yesterday.  It was because California forgot to pay its bill.

I'm still out of town working but hope to make it home Monday.  It's interesting going to a place where there are no people and within two days 2000 people are living and working together.  The entire infrastructure is put in, people are fed, have places to sleep and work, and generally get along without any problems. 

I don't have time for TV and am not spending much time on the Internet.  I won't be around for any of the 9/11 events, other than the one where I'm working.   I think it's going to be pretty low key since I'm not sure how many people will actually be around here.  Most everyone is leaving tomorrow or Sunday.  Since I wasn't around 10 years after Pearl Harbor I don't know how the country reacted to that anniversary.  It would be interesting to find out if they are just going overboard on this or if this is the norm.  There's one person who works with me who was a firefighter in NYC in 2001.  After so many of his friends perished he quit FDNY and moved to California to start a new life. To me, remembering 9/11/2001 means being kind to the coworker as this day will probably be very difficult for him, bringing back those terrible memories even more than what he lives with each and every day. 

I talked to the grand kids this evening.  Boy wanted to know if I was near a post office or if I would have to drive through several towns to get to one.  I'm near a post office.  Good, then will I send him something?  I said that I don't know if I have stamps with me but I suppose I could go to the post office and buy a stamp.  He wanted to know if I had any Gatorade bars because I should send him one.  No I don't, but I have Nutter Butter Peanut Butter cookies.  He was really happy about that.  But I told him that I would have to bring them home to him.  I wouldn't send them but I can send him a letter.  He then told me that if I didn't have a stamp I wouldn't have to buy one.  "All you have to do is write something nice in the corner where the stamp goes and they'll send it."  Unfortunately that's not how it goes.  He said he'll wait for the snack until I get home.  

Not much prepping this week.  Not much to say either.

1 comment:

  1. "All you have to do is write something nice in the corner where the stamp goes and they'll send it."

    That was really cute, nothing like a child to make it all seem better sometimes.

    ReplyDelete