Monday, December 12, 2011

Almost Free Dinner

Had to write a second post tonight, again about cheap food.  Tonight's dinner was really good and filling and very inexpensive.  Army daughter and baby were over for dinner tonight.  Baby is spending the night because son-in-law is sick.  So we had four plus baby for dinner.  For this meal baby ate a really good serving. 

I made cabbage soup and rolls.  The soup consists of home grown ingredients:  tomato juice, raisins, and a head of cabbage.  There was a pound of antelope stew meat in it although I usually use beef ribs.  I also add a little sour salt (citric acid) and sugar.  I put it in the crock pot this morning and it was perfect at dinner time. 

I also made rolls.  It was going to be a small loaf of bread using my basic recipe: flour, water, yeast, salt.  I added a teaspoon of sugar.  I made the batter up this morning and at about 4:00 this afternoon I put a little flour on the counter and kneaded a small amount of the flour into the dough to stiffen it up a little.  I shaped it into a round loaf then changed my mind.  I took out the cutting board and a sharp knife.  I cut the loaf in half and then each half into three pieces.  I then took the six pieces and put them into a sprayed muffin tin.  I melted some butter (about a teaspoon total) and brushed it lightly on top of each chunk of dough.  I let it sit for about five minutes then put it into a 375 degree oven for not very long, maybe 15 minutes.  I can't tell you how long exactly because I didn't pay any attention to the time.  When it smells done I take it out.  I brushed another little bit of butter on top.

For the drinks I mixed about 2 cups of ice with two cut up pears, a banana that was getting over ripe, two persimmons, half an orange that I didn't eat at breakfast, and a little water to get it mixed.  I then added just a tad of honey.  

So dinner cost a little sour salt, sugar, flour, butter, banana, and honey.  Maybe a dollar at most.  Cheap, easy, and pretty sustainable with some minor substitutions if TSHTF and we couldn't get to the store.   

No comments:

Post a Comment