Thursday, November 24, 2011

Canning Leftovers

Happy Thanksgiving!  No matter what your situation in life you can always find something to be thankful for.  In fact, you have a lot to be thankful for. 

Not that we will have any left over turkey to add to the soup but I'm planning on making soup with the turkey bones and any left over meat we may have.  When I can soup I will make 1/2 in pints and 1/2 in quarts.  If I don't have enough to fill my pressure cooker I still make the soup but I don't waste the space.  Any time I'm pressure cooking for an hour and a half I will fill the extra space with beans. 

Canning dry beans is really simple!  You take your jar and fill it half way with dried beans.  Then pour water over the beans and fill the jar to 1 to 1 1/2 inches from the top with the water.  Put on the top and stick it in the pressure cooker along with the other items you are canning.  The beans cook up just fine this way and will be ready to use when you need beans.     

Tomorrow, since many don't have to work, a fun breakfast for the kids is jam filled pancakes.  Made you pancake batter, pour it onto the griddle.  When it's just starting to set put a spoonful of jam in the middle.  Then pour more batter over to cover.  Flip as normal.  What a great surprise for the kids!

Happy Thanksgiving. 

1 comment:

  1. What a great tip about canning beans. If I ever get a pressure canner, I'll be sure to use that. Best wishes for a happy Thanksgiving to you as well

    ReplyDelete