Sunday, November 6, 2011

Cheap dinner

Today we went to Army daughter's house for lunch.  She has discovered Costco!  Lunch was spinach ravioli's on top of a spinach salad, which was spinach, tomatoes on the vine (what can I say, she still refuses home grown stuff), and feta cheese.  It was good but also filling.  Needless to say, when dinner rolled around tonight I wasn't hungry.  I can't pull that one on the grand kids...sorry, I'm full so no dinner tonight...

Unless you are one of those people who needs to have meat every single night, and I am not one of those people, then a dinner like this is not only delicious but also good for your wallet.  On Friday I made a huge amount of homemade bread.  Since Bug-out renters were eating over for two days, bread does wonders for keeping people full.  We still had over half a loaf left.  The chickens are still laying more eggs than we can keep up with.  Eggs and bread equals French toast! 

I used four eggs, added a little cinnamon sugar, and beat them well.  I didn't add milk because I didn't need to extend the eggs.  If I needed more eggs I would have just used more eggs.  I sliced the bread into 1/2 inch thick slices.  Each piece was soaked well.  The egg didn't soak all the way into the center but about 1/4 way in.  I had some butter that's been sitting in the butter bell for the last week.  I melted about a teaspoon and spread it on the griddle with my silicone brush.  Then I cooked the bread on both sides until it was a golden brown. 

The next door neighbors gave the grand kids a jar of pomegranate jelly that they made yesterday.  I put a spoon of the jelly on toast.  That with a glass of chocolate Quik powdered milk and dinner was served.  It was delicious.  Cost?  Probably less than a dollar total for the three of us. 

No comments:

Post a Comment