Thursday, October 6, 2011

National Cyber Security Awareness Month

This came in a work email today:
The Eighth Annual National Cyber Security Awareness Month is being celebrated during October 2011, as a collective effort among the Multi-State Information Sharing and Analysis Center, the U.S. Department of Homeland Security's National Cyber Security Division, the National Cyber Security Alliance and the National Association of State Chief Information Officers.
The month highlights the importance of empowering citizens, businesses, government, and schools to improve their cyber security preparedness. In this digital age, we are all connected, and the actions of one can impact many. Thus, it is essential that each of us understand our important role in securing cyberspace.
For the week of October 3, 2011, we will look at 3G vs. 4G (G is for generation).  Most wireless carriers’ commercials feature claims that their networks are now 4G, the successor to current 3G networks.  One thing these commercials fail to do is explain what 4G really is, and that’s likely because none of the major carriers — AT&T, Sprint, Verizon, and T-Mobile — actually has 4G networks.  To read more, please click on the following link http://www.govtech.com/wireless/Does-4G-Deliver.html
All this got me thinking about the internet and computers in general.  I know that I keep a lot of my information on the computer and on computer backup files.  But all my important private information is also in print.  Do you have a copy of your bank statements only on line?  What about your insurance documents?  Don't you think a printed copy would serve you well?  I have fallen a bit behind on printing things up that I find while surfing the internet but still do pretty well at it.  If I find something that I like I save it to a document just in case the website goes away.  Think about it folks.  One pack of 500 sheets of paper is only a few dollars.  If you download everything you read today that you think is important you will go through, what, 20 sheets of paper?  I'm not even telling you to file all your papers yet.  Just print them and stack them.  Wait for a nice rainy day when you don't really have anything to do.  That's a perfect time to sit in front of the pile, read through your important downloads and file them away for another rainy day.

3 comments:

  1. Same goes for blogs...If you (or anyone else for that matter) values the stuff that you've posted, back them up in case the almighty Google or some other corrupt agency decides to make it go away. I know of two this year and 1 previously that have up and disappeared. Only 1 of the three was able to get itself back online.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I try to have a paper backup and have saved my blog articles in a separate file outside the blog. Since I had posted about it I also saved important documents into a memory stick. I need to do more but have not had time lately.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I keep most of what I might need later on a zip drive, or on disks. I do keep critically important things like inventory on paper as well.

    ReplyDelete