Friday, May 6, 2011

School update

I ended up pulling granddaughter out of school and will home school her for the rest of the school year, which is one month.  I'm not sure how this is going to work with me working full time.  My other kids have all volunteered to help but they really don't know what's involved.  She's not just doing review but actually is expected to learn something new. 

According to her teacher she is exactly where she is supposed to be.  That's not true because her younger brother is ahead in math, science, spelling, and reading.  She's only ahead in history because fourth grade is mission study so she can tell us about the missions.  When my kids were younger I had a book that listed everything they are supposed to learn in K-8.  That way you could judge how they were doing and what needed to be worked on.  When I was younger I student taught fourth grade math.  I know that she's not on the same level that I was teaching those kids.  Today they are trying to combine all the math levels (algebra, geometry, etc. before the kids know their basic +,-,X,/) so the kids don't have the basics down.  Today we start on the basics. 

She is going to get a battery of math pages just so I can see what she knows and what she doesn't.  She is also going to be reading.  It will be nice to get back to basics with her.  Public school is required to spend so much time on other things like getting along, sex and sexuality, drugs, and so on that they don't have enough time for the basics.  Remember when you were in school?  There was time for art, pe, and music.  Not anymore. 

I do know that I am presently ill equipment to teach her.  I used to have an entire series of school books when my kids were younger.  Once they grew up I gave everything away.  I've taken things off the internet but what if TSHTF and all the grandkids had to be home schooled?  I guess I need to start collecting teaching materials once again.  Until then, she can work on her math basics, read Little House on the Prairie and give me a written and oral report, read the dictionary to learn some new words and practice spelling. 

No comments:

Post a Comment