Sunday, March 20, 2011

Cheesemaking: a simple cheese is quick and easy to make

This recipe has been hitting the internet lately: it's one that I've used for a long while.  It's quick and easy, and like my bread recipe can be adjusted to any flavor you want.  You take 1/2 gallon of whole milk.  Heat it to 190 degrees (I've read anywhere between 180 and 200).  Once it gets to the 190 shut off the heat.  Pour in 1/4 cup of white vinegar or lemon juice.  Stir for a bit to separate the curds and whey.  Line a colander with a muslin towel (I use a kitchen towel and not a cheese cloth) and pour the liquid into it.  Take the four corners of the cloth and bring them together.  I then dumped the whey back into the pot and hung the tied cloth up on the knob of the cabinet.  It dripped into a bowl.  After about an hour or so I opened the cloth and took the ball of cheese out.  I put it into a plastic wrap and put it in the refrigerator.  That's all there is to it. 

Some people add a little salt.  You can add seasonings if you want.  Dill cheese is good.  Be creative.  It's a good use for milk and if I ever do get another milk goat or we get a cow much of the milk will go to cheese.  This type is quick, easy, and really versatile.  You can use it in any recipe that calls for ricotta or cottage cheese...Think lasagna!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds good. The Dill cheese especially. This is very similar to the recipe my wife uses.

    ReplyDelete