Sunday, August 7, 2011

How organized are your tools?

Army daughter ended up buying me a new freezer.  We decided the best thing to do was just replace the one I had with one like it.  I ended up with a manual defrost (which I prefer) 21 cu.ft. upright.  This one was a Kenmore but regular electric home freezers made in the US are all made by Frigidaire and labeled everything else.  I was going to get a propane freezer but the freezer in the trailer is propane so I already have one.  I think I'd rather put up solar panels to run the freezer if we ended up without electricity.  This exercise in canning most of what was in the freezer was good practice if I ever needed to do it again. Tonight I finished up the canning by putting up another 2 1/2 gallons of blackberries, plums, and blueberries. 

When we took the freezer out of the box (ok, I brought it home in my truck but Army daughter and son-in-law took it out of the truck and got it set up -they think I'm too old to do such physical labor) it had four bolts on the bottom that needed to be undone.  Where are the ratchets?  In the toolbox drawer that says ratchets.  What about a chisel?  In the toolbox drawer that says chisels.  I need a hammer...I know, in the drawer that says hammer.  Army daughter said I was probably the only person in the world that has their tools so well organized that anyone can find anything.  I hope this is not the case and that preppers are more organized than most people.  Otherwise how do you know that the item you bought and its backup aren't really the third and fourth of that item because you don't know where the others are? 

I won't be satisfied with my organization until someone can ask me about anything at all that is in my possession and I can tell them exactly where it is located and how many I have.  Believe me, I am not completely organized, especially with slobs (I mean Army daughter and son-in-law) living here.  But I keep putting things away and throwing things away and someday, I will be satisfied with my organization. 

Army daughter and son-in-law put another offer on a house today.  Hopefully they will get this house.  It's about 15 miles away, close to son-in-law's work, and it has a pool.  They should know in about a week whether their offer is accepted.  They decided if they can't get into a house they will be with me for no more than six more months.  At that time they'll move into an apartment.  While I'll miss them, their room is actually supposed to be my "hidden" storage room in the house.  I'm looking forward to transforming it back into storage.

No comments:

Post a Comment