Monday, August 22, 2011

Orange Peel Candy

Every once in a while I get a terrible sweet tooth.  When I do I don't crave cookies or cakes or things like that.  It usually has something to do with fruit.  One of my favorites is orange peel candy. The ingredients are all things found in my pantry or garden. 
 
Candied orange peel is easy to make and is something that can be included in your food storage program, especially if you have access to oranges.  I'll just give the directions using a small amount of fruit, only one or two oranges.  Peel your oranges.  Cut the peel into lengthwise strips.  Put them into a pot, cover them with water, bring the pot to a boil and simmer the orange peels until they are soft.  Drain the water.  If you left any white part on the peel cut it off at this time.  You only want the orange part.  Slice the peels into long narrow strips. 
 
Bring 1 cup sugar and 1/2 cup water to a boil (twice as much sugar as water).  Add the orange peel strips.  Simmer until the sugar syrup heats to 230 degrees.  Remove the peels from the syrup.  Don't get rid of the syrup.  We use it for pancakes and waffles but it can also be used when making lemonade or other drinks. Coat each peel in powdered sugar (like you are coating a chicken in bread crumbs).  Lay the peels out on a baking sheet to cool.  I store them in a mason jar with a piece of paper towel in it to make sure the moisture level doesn't get too high.
 
If you want to get really fancy you can melt some chocolate chips and dip the orange peel in the chocolate.  This makes a great gift and will cure any sweet tooth attack you may get. 

6 comments:

  1. I'm so going to make some of this on Saturday. I'm always looking for 'old fashioned' stuff to make. All my cookbooks are from the 50's, especially the ones from communities like my mother in-law was in... where everyone contributed to recipes and had pot-luck dinners and cooked for new neighbors, holidays, etc.

    My Betty Crocker cookbook has instructions on setting a table where the woman is supposed to sit closest to the kitchen in case anyone needs something.. just swap out hostess with host and that's me. Good old fashioned food simply can't be beat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. great post, thank you.

    in another subject, 4 days ago you went from bigger lettering to normal. for younger persons they are probaably great. But, I believe the younger ones dont look much at survival, we older or middle age do and our eyes need a little help. Can you help us?

    Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Anonymous,
    Sorry about the type. It depends on how I post the article. If I write it directly from the blog or if I write it from my gmail the font is different. I can change it to a larger font and will do so. Something that you can do when you are reading is go to View then click on Zoom. You can enlarge the page to suit your eyes. My eyes? I usually wear reading glasses to see!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always feel like I am wasting the orange peel when I throw it out. This orange peel candy sounds delicious. Now I won't feel guilty next time I eat an orange I can save the peels. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the post! Sounds delicious! Maybe somebody can help me out with something that has been bothering me though. Many of the canning directions I have call for adding lemon juice to help prevent discoloration. In a SHTF scenerio, just how likely will citrus produce be available (much less affordable) in Tennessee? I realize that an item such as this could be prepared in advance and stored. Just a thought and I'd appreciate any ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  6. To Anonymous,
    Two things to talk about: using lemon juice and lemon trees. First instead of using lemon juice you can buy fruit fresh, which will also prevent discoloring and add a little acid or you can use a bit of vinegar. When I am canning apricots I'll often put them in a quick vinegar bath using just a little vinegar. Second, a dwarf lemon tree can be grown in a half whiskey barrel. It can be kept outside all spring, summer, and fall, and brought into the house or garage during the winter if it has a good light or is right next to the window. A dwarf can get to 6 feet high and wide but they can be kept smaller than that. I have several dwarf citrus trees that are no bigger than a whiskey barrel in width and they produce quite a bit of fruit.

    ReplyDelete